Who we are
Registered in 2011, NONDO is a Kenyan Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) that advocates for the rights, inclusion, and participation of persons with disability from nomadic/ pastoralist communities of Kenya to ensure they live dignified lives. NONDO is the first organisation of persons with disabilities (OPD) to exclusively target nomadic/pastoralist counties of Kenya to amplify unique circumstance surrounding the lives of nomadic/pastoralists Persons with Disabilities in these counties.
NONDO serves Arid and Semi-Arid counties in Kenya which have suffered from marginalization and isolation from the rest of the country. These counties are also prone to conflicts over resources, clans, and inter-community feuds, resulting in deaths and leaving behind hundreds of Persons with Disabilities. These counties have low indicators in accessing basic social services, and different communities share limited resources, increasing the chances of collision. Persons with Disabilities in these regions face double marginalization and are viewed as a curse and a burden to society, leading to stereotyping, profiling, and stigmatization.
Currently NONDO has different programs and interventions in 12 Counties including Mandera, Wajir, Garisa, Tana River, Marsabit, Isiolo, Kajiado, Narok. West Pokot, Turkana, Samburu and Baringo
A society where Persons with Disabilities have a voice and space to participate in all aspects of life and live dignified lives.
To advocate for the rights, inclusion, and participation of persons with disabilities from nomadic/ pastoralist communities in all spheres of life.
- Non-discrimination based on gender, faith, creed, age and race.
At the heart of NONDO’s theory of change is its advocacy model,to advocate for an inclusive society where persons with disabilities rights are protected, are heard and have space to meaningfully participate in the social, economic, and political sphere of life. To achieved our vision, we undertake the following strategic actions:
- Identify the problem faced by Persons with disabilities in accessing their social, economic, and political rights and opportunities due to discriminatory attitudes, practices, and policies.
- Identify the desired outcome which revolves around creating a more inclusive society where persons with disabilities can fully and equally participate in the social, economic, and political sphere of life, and where their rights are respected and protected.
- Identify the strategies and actions that are NONDO specific to each intervention and in most instance they include:
- Conducting research to identify the specific barriers faced by persons with disabilities in accessing their rights and opportunities in the target county or area.
- Building relationships with decision-makers in government (county and national), private sector, and civil society to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities mostly using the Human rights approach.
- Identification and capacity building of change agents (giving the voice) who are persons with disabilities in the societies for them to meaningfully participate, lead advocacy on governance, leadership issues within their county or communities.
- Through community forums and dialogues educating the public about the contributions of persons with disabilities to society and the importance of inclusive policies and practices.
- Advocating for policies and programs that promote equal access and opportunities for persons with disabilities, such as better representations, accessible infrastructure, better livelihoods, inclusive education and employment policies, and disability-inclusive health services.
- Strengthening institutional capacity to be thought leaders in our core business.
- Develop indicators and milestones. NONDO develops indicators and milestones to measure progress towards the desired outcome. This done through setting an indicator backed with evidence through change of lives, inclusion avenues. Increased enrollment, retention, and completion of educational systems by children with disabilities or of parents with disabilities, attitudinal transformation toward persons with disabilities, inclusive society and governance structures, self-reliant communities of persons with disabilities, and strengthened organizational capacity and growth are key indicators.
- Monitor and evaluate progress. NONDO Kenya will monitor and evaluate progress towards the desired outcome using the indicators and milestones that they have identified. Our main objective here is to identify what is working well and what needs to be improved, and to make adjustments to strategies and actions as needed.
Over the years NONDO KENYA has utilised different approaches guided by Human rights approach including inclusive sports, media engagement and supporting through legal processes such as litigation.
Overall, our theory of change focuses on using advocacy as a tool to achieve a society where persons with disability have a voice and space to participate in all aspects of life and live dignified lives. By identifying the specific barriers and using strategic actions, NONDO KENYA works towards achieving a society where persons with disabilities are heard and meaningfully participate in all aspects of life.
- To promote access to education for children with disability from pastoralist /nomadic communities
- To rreduce poverty among persons with disabilities in ASAL areas and enhance self-reliance
- To advocate for improved access to quality, affordable and accessible health facilities/services in ASAL areas
- To augment representation of persons with disabilities in leadership position through advocacy, trainings, and good governance programs.