NONDO had made tangible achievements three years after its formation. They include:
Aggressive Awareness Creation
The organization had undertaken disability awareness drives across Northern Kenya within a short period of time. As a result of this, NONDO has a pool of partners in the grassroots who bolster its outreach efforts.
Mobilization of People and Resources
The organization has managed to mobilize substantial resources –volunteers, staff, supporters and finance – to bolster its cause.
Hope and Inspiration
PWDs from Northern Kenya now have a vehicle that they can look up to and project their hopes. NONDO is the only organization that PWDs in the region articulate their agenda.
NONDO has built strong bankable networks in the grassroots, National and International levels, the notable ones are:
- The World Disability Union (WDU) Headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey.-A membership organization that works in the field of disability under one umbrella, to move forward collectively towards improving the lives of persons with disabilities globally. Nondo is a voting member and sits in one of the Commission of WDU –Inter-Agency Coordination and Capacity Building Commission.
- Network member of Partners for Prosperity –a membership organization that supports grass roots community based initiatives through partnerships between organizations, volunteers, donors and consultants.
- North East Professionals Association (NEPA) - NONDO sits in Steering Committee of NEPA, a professional forum that brings together professionals from counties of Wajir, Mandera and Garissa to campaign, advocate, solicit and lobby for the economic, social and political development of the three counties of Northern Kenya.
- The Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon -NONDO is a member of the Planning Committee of The Wheelchair/Tricycle Race of The Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon. The proceeds of the marathon goes to “Seeing is Believing Initiative” geared to campaign against avoidable blindness in children.
Built a Brand
In the last three years, NONDO has gained relative recognition. It has hosted international events such as International day for persons with Disability in Garissa and Mandera among others. Being entrusted with such a role affirms its recognition and endorsement by sector players.
Awards and Recognitions
Notably, Nondo has been recognized in various awards and recognitions namely:
- Malaika Tribute Award 2012- Nondo’s Executive Director was recognized in 2012 nationally with the Tribute Award in the category (Malaika Activist of the Year Award).
- CBM an international donor organization that supports causes of disability recognized NONDO, in February 2014, as an organization that’s “transforming the lives of persons with disabilities through advocacy in Northern Kenya”
Over 2000 Wheelchairs Distributed
The organization has distributed over 2000 wheelchairs and other assistive devices to PWDs in the region.
Increased Media Engagement
The organization has in the past engaged the media in its work. It has received relative coverage on print and electronic media notably KTN,K24 and KBC
The organization has worked with partners to provide scholarships to needy pupils with disability. A good example is recognition by Equity through its “Wings to Fly Initiative”.
The organization has lobbied the private sector and county governments to employ PWDs in various positions of influence. These include Safaricom Ltd, county governments of Garissa, Isiolo, Wajir and Mandera.
There has been increased Participation and Engagement of PWD in Governance and Civic Processes. NONDO has mobilized PWDs in Northern Kenya to participate in civic processes. As a result of NONDO’s lobbying and other advocacy efforts, PWDs in the region are represented in high offices and committees in various county governments in the region.
Increased Donor Confidence
The organization has earned donors’ respect and endorsement of its work. NONDO’s current donors view the organization as strategic and credible partners, especially in advocacy in hard to reach areas of northern Kenya.
Established Regional Presence
In 3 years, NONDO has established offices in Nairobi (Headquarters), Isiolo and Garissa. This has enabled it to be near its partners and constituency. In other counties we work through our network members.
Integration of Advocacy into Religion
NONDO is the first organization in Kenya to aggressively advocate for infusion of disability issues in religion. It has in the past organized advocacy forums with religious leaders on this agenda.
Hon. Bishop Mutemi and Dr. David Sankok during the unveiling of the Desert Wheel Race logo at the Sarova Stanley Hotel on 16th June 2014. Cheering on is Hon. Gulled Mohamed, Mr. Harun Hassan (on wheel chair) and behind him is Mr. Mugambis.
H.E Ahmed the Governor of Wajir County receiving a recognition award from Mr. Hussein Borle for appointing persons with disability in high county offices.